On this blog readers can find news related to Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), a Central Government institution of international of repute. AMU is located in Aligarh, a city situated in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh (UP) in India. It should be noted that only news that is genuine, verifiable and not malicious or defamatory in nature will be allowed to be posted on this blog.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

"I do want support, I do not want sympathy" Says Suspended AMU Student

Respected Aligs!
There are few points I want to make very much clear. Probably first time in any quasi-judicial process the name of two AMU related forums are dragged in official document by the authorities of AMU. I have no role in drafting my own Suspension Order. I can understand the Janab Zubair Sahab apprehension where he emphasized that it is individual responsibility and not yahoogroups or its moderators for all the matters some1 is writing on which he may face the consequences. But I am afraid I do not agree with Zubair Sahab here that the onus of proof lies on me. This is a famous principle in legal system that the onus of proof lies on the accuser i.e AMU Proctor now. The fact is that both individual and the yahoogroups who allow them to express their views and concerns are targeted here.
Now I know by criticising AMU administration for ignoring the needs and plight of the students through a public discussion forum at a time when Students Union is not active I have made many enemies. If raising such issues by writing which is my job as Mass Communication student is politics to some people I am proud of my actions. Mr.Shah Faisal, the IAS topper is known RTI activist and a `whistle blower' and I've also filed numerous RTI applications exercising the right as Indian Citizen along with my studies. I believe that if media ask me on my opinion about the episode on Dr.Siras, CCTV or Local Intelligence Unit whose illegal presence I exposed here officially( another principle of journalism) as everybody have their individual opinion, I have mine and I can voice it as my right. Secondly, till now no one can ever blame me of financial bungling at AMU, or engaged with any violence, or that even I slapped, abused any single student or teacher at AMU till date. I have always followed the rule of law and in dissent followed the democratic principles to lodge my protest. I have neither pointed a gun towards any official nor do I hold the collar of anybody while I register my disagreement with any official. So the brand of my politics if it is at all is harmless writing and expressing my thoughts with facts and logics and sometime substantial proofs. Now the University administration also suspends and impose campus ban those who burn the VC lodge and also on people like me who just simply write. Ask yourselves and tell is this justice? If my writings are wrong, politically motivated etc as people blame why not answer me in my way i.e simply you may reply in writing whatever you feel like. And if any reader don't like my writings, don't read me, delete my posts, who have forced them? I don't want to be a hero rather than to be listened. But yes they are unnecessarily making me a hero by taking stupid decisions by going against the spirit of Indian Constitution. I have no issues if University suspend me for valid reasons, but they have to make the context right and follow the proper legal steps. They can't be desperate to suspend me if they find me doing nothing illegal. I tried to change the face of student activism at AMU after a long time which was marred with student violence, regionalism, factionalism etc by simply writing only but my detractors even find fault with peaceful ways also. As far I have read a little history of AMU I think I have chosen the Moulana Hasrat Mohani's way to raise my concerns and facing the same fate i.e suspension and campus ban. AMU has not changed at all in the last 100 years. They do not know to respect the non-violent ways of protest by students which only push them further towards violence.
Few days back I wrote a post defining the yahoogroups as a new form of media which have their own impact. But the suspension of a student on account of writing in it is the dangerous development ever on the freedom of speech and expression. If we justify and do not protest against this action then tomorrow Dr.Sajjad Sahab or other teachers may not express themselves freely on such forums and University administration may take revenge on them by suspending them for writing in it. Tomorrow teachers can be charged with same sentences and we will only fight on the onus lies. The fact is simple and crystal clear. University has no right to charge anybody for writing on internet. With me two student, Tanveer of B.Tech & Syed Asad, BSC(Hons) Physics also voiced their criticism on CCTV or closing of gates of Sulaiman Hall, but if I am prosecuted for writing only today the yahoogroups, which is the last resort by the students these days to write freely about their life here in a time when student get punished for asking the Provost why they had not been served Chicken for two weeks would be discussion board for the Old Boys only where present teachers and students have no voice. If that is what Moderators want I have no problem. And who knows tomorrow student may face suspension for `baseless allegations against AMU' made on their twitter, facebook or orkut account for comments written inadvertently. AMU authorities cant impose thought control like in China.
I do want support, I do not want sympathy. All I want that Aligs must stand at this crucial juncture on the right of an individual to express himself freely in writing without the fear of subjugation.
Md. Adil Hossain [adilhossain43@yahoo.in]
M.A(Prev) Mass Communication
AMU, Aligarh

The posting has been taken from TheAligarhForum@yahoogroups.com

No comments:

Followers